What is the Lonely No More Program?
The Lonely No More program consists of weekly Elder Circles, a teleconference call between isolated seniors, facilitated by trained community members (volunteers). Our program hopes to reach rural seniors across 5 target counties: Lambton, Huron, Perth, Bruce and Grey. We also offer one to one support by trained volunteers.
- Are a great place for seniors to develop social networks without having to face the weather or lack of transportation.
- Empower community members to become peer advocates for isolated and at-risk seniors.
Our pilot program was successfully completed in 2019 with the help of our program collaborators:
Elder Abuse Ontario and It's Not Right
Province of Ontario and the SouthWesthealthline.ca
University of Waterloo
Due to the success of our pilot, we have relaunched the program with the support of the following organizations:
Rotary Club of Goderich
University of Waterloo
Our Lonely No More Team
In addition to our Lonely No More volunteers and community partners, our Lonely No More Program Lead and Lonely No More Coordinator help provide support and direction to the program.
Fun Facts about Lonely No More's 2020 Relaunch:
- Our participants and volunteers span across all 5 of our target counties: Huron, Perth, Grey, Bruce and Lambton.
- Every week on average across all our Elder Circles we have 3 seniors and 2 volunteers join our weekly calls.
- We achieved great support with over 50 local community organizations interested in the program and wanted to help recruit volunteers and seniors.
To help spark conversation we have invited guest speakers to join our calls. Our guests speak on a wide range of topics that are both educational and recreational. Here are a few examples of our amazing speakers that have or are going to join our calls:
Lonely No More Events
To enable face to face connections we are offering a number of Lonely No More social events throughout the program. For instance Gateway hosted Lonely No More's Tea & Coffee social held on February 18, 2020. At this social we had guest speakers, volunteers, participants, community partners and the Lonely No More team come together to chat over some hot coffee and delicious treats. Through our community partners we were able to supply free transportation to the event. We are looking forward to the next event which will be held in March 2020.